Monday, February 27, 2006

Margaret Bourke-White

Wow! am I glad to finally turn in my National History Day project. I spent forever on it. I know it all backwards and forwards and to the point where I'm so sick of it-- it is literally making me sick. Fun. But every time I see her pictures I fall in love with again. Margaret Bourke-White truly was an amazing woman to research and an outstanding photographer.

Here is just a little sample!



Man dwarfed by his own machine.

The American Industrial Age.








If nothing else the Great Depression didn't lack for irony.

Kentucky flood victims standing in line for food. As the billboard proclaims America to have the highest standard of living.







Men with guns must hurt each other.

Bourke-White created the window for the world to realize men's morality in WWII.








Gandhi, in a symbolic picture of his peace and the hopes he had for his nation.








The refugees created by the Indian-Pakistani divide.







This picture is so sad and yet it marks one of the world's most horrific tragedies. It is so important because it says everything words cannot about the holocaust. The human tragedy, the world looking the other way, and that no matter what we cannot just stand idlely to the side and let events such as this occur.

(This is the picture that made me chose her as a topic.)




Thank you Margaret Bourke-White
for capturing these moments in time that shaped
and awakened the world.

1 Comments:

Blogger sixmitts said...

What a great research project! No wonder you qualified for state. Congratulations!

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home